Hardcoding Subtitles With MP4 Files Using XviD4PSP

N0body

1.download http://www.winnydows.com/download.php?list.4 and install the application on your computer.

NOTE: You need to register with the website and login before you can download the XviD4PSP. Search for the file on the Internet to download from one of the mirrors if you don’t want to go through the hassles of registration.

When the installation is finished, run XviD4PSP from the start menu or desktop shortcut. The main window should look like this:

MainWindow.png

Hardcode subtitles into MP4/AVI videos using XviD4PSP - Main Window

2. Open the MP4 file into which you want to hardcode the subtitles from File -> Open File….

OpenFile.png

Hardcode subtitles using XviD4PSP - Open MP4/AVI File

The format of the video file should be detected and default settings should be properly selected in the Format: panel. You can change some of the format settings if you want to.

3. XviD4PSP showed me the following message window on Windows Vista(did not get it on Windows XP) and continued reading the information from the input file after I clicked the Yes button.

DirectShowOrFFmpeg.png

Use FFmpgegSource on Windows Vista if XviD4PSP can't use DirectShowSource

4. Add the subtitle file for this MP4 video by going to Subtitles -> Add menu.

AddSubtitle.png

Add subtitle file in XviD4PSP to hardcode them into MP4/AVI video files

5. Select the directory where the output file should be stored by clicking on the Save button on the toolbar.

Save.png

Specify save location for hardcoded video file

6. You can now repeat Step 2 to Step 5 if you want to add more subtitle hardcoding jobs to the queue. When you have added all the MP4(or even AVI) videos to the queue, you can click the Encode button on the toolbar to begin the encoding/subtitle hardcoding process.

XviD4PSP encoding/hardcoding subtitle in MP4 file

Encoding2.png

7. I tried my best to keep the encoding settings as close to the actual format of the input file as possible. But the re-encoding + hardcoding process still took almost as long as the play time of the video file(i.e. 37 minutes for a 37 minute video). I am still trying to optimize the process. You get the following window with brief information once the encoding is complete.

XviD4PSP completes encoding/subtitle hardcoding

EncodingComplete.png

You can click the Info button to view detailed information. Below is an example MP4 video file that I have hardcoded the subtitles into.

An example MP4 video file with subtitles hardcoded into it using XviD4PSP

LostSubtitles.png

I was searching for a long time for a good guide for permanently subs at my movies^^

I thought it would be good posting here too

• 7 years later...

I use iDealshare VideoGo to Hardcode Subtitles With MP4

In fact, it also helps to hardcode subtitles to MKV, AVI, MOV, WMV, MPG etc.

Here is the easy guide https://www.idealshare.net/hardcode-subtitles.html

• 4 months later...

It is well known that subtitle is divided into two kinds: soft subtitle and hard subtitle. Soft subtitle is such a kind of subtitle which is an independent stream and can be turn off or on when you play videos if you want while hard subtitle are encoded directly into the video which means this kind of subtitle is inseparable and you have to see the subtitles during the watching.

Why hardcode soft subs? There are two major reasons. First, playing video with soft subtitles costs extra CPU power since the media player must extract, decode, and render the soft subtitle over the video image. And second, some players on mobile devices like iTunes for iOS doesn't support soft subs at all. To settle these issues once and for all, you'd better to hardcode subtitles.

Read through this guide on how to hardcode subtitles, and then you can archive the following goals easily:

• Convert soft subtitles to hard subtitles as well as w/o change the video format.
  • Allow to hardcode subtitles to most video formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, MP4, FLV, etc.
  • Enable to hardcode subs in formats like ASS, SSA, SRT, IDX, SUB, etc to video files.
  • Convert videos up to 150+, like MOV, AVI, MP4, WMV, etc, as a versatile converter.
  • Add special effects to your videos, such as text, subtitles, watermarks and more with an inbuilt video editor.
  • Get online videos and then convert them to any format as you want.