Client protectors using drivers?

Fyyre

Welcome back to the scene Fyyre. I think we can all acknowledge the immense contribution you've shown to the private l2 scene since the very early days. I hope you get the respect, recognition and the help you deserve as you've helped many others. You certainly have mine. If there is anything I could do for you or help you with, let me know.

Indeed it is sad to see that it always come down to money. People are too driven by money not realizing that making it their secondary reasons of motivation might make them more in the end. But I think we do need to realize that every story has at least two sides to it. Therefore concluding things on others based on incomplete information is something I stay away from - as in the case of SmartGuard and Adrenaline.

An anti-bot running on ring0 does sound like a solid solution although I do not believe that is the way to go for reasons AlmostGood stated. With all due respect to the server owners out there - I would not trust the driver that I would have to install to play a server, but that could just be me. I believe there are better ways of making it happen which I am not going to discuss here for integrity reasons if I were to create something of the sort in the future. I've tried making an anti-bot for the last server I've created. But I simply lack the time and knowledge to realize it properly.

Whatever you come up with, the bigger you are - the bigger target it becomes.

On 22.09.2017 at 9:58 AM, OpalSnow said:

Welcome back to the scene Fyyre. I think we can all acknowledge the immense contribution you've shown to the private l2 scene since the very early days. I hope you get the respect, recognition and the help you deserve as you've helped many others. You certainly have mine. If there is anything I could do for you or help you with, let me know.

Indeed it is sad to see that it always come down to money. People are too driven by money not realizing that making it their secondary reasons of motivation might make them more in the end. But I think we do need to realize that every story has at least two sides to it. Therefore concluding things on others based on incomplete information is something I stay away from - as in the case of SmartGuard and Adrenaline.

An anti-bot running on ring0 does sound like a solid solution although I do not believe that is the way to go for reasons AlmostGood stated. With all due respect to the server owners out there - I would not trust the driver that I would have to install to play a server, but that could just be me. I believe there are better ways of making it happen which I am not going to discuss here for integrity reasons if I were to create something of the sort in the future. I've tried making an anti-bot for the last server I've created. But I simply lack the time and knowledge to realize it properly.

but ur antibot on Terra was rly good, im not joking... i wish all the servers had something like this.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:58 AM, OpalSnow said:

Hi Opal =)

I remember you!  Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

You make valid point saying "bigger you are, the bigger target becomes".  Yes, this is true... whether it is DDoS or randoms trying to exploit.  Learned this lesson myself as well

4 hours ago, imtheboss2012 said:

but ur antibot on Terra was rly good, im not joking... i wish all the servers had something like this.

Sure you don't mean Aion?  If I had one for Tera, not certain I remember it ;)

5 hours ago, Fyyre said:

Hi Opal =)

I remember you!  Thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

You make valid point saying "bigger you are, the bigger target becomes".  Yes, this is true... whether it is DDoS or randoms trying to exploit.  Learned this lesson myself as well

Sure you don't mean Aion?  If I had one for Tera, not certain I remember it ;)

im talking about l2sublimity.com, interlude server made by Opal :)

Damn Fyyre, not sure if this is true old guy or some new kid that is trying to steal identity, but remember back old days, your work was really aprecieted and helpfull, good to see you back if its really you, but you will notice that many things have changed around lineage 2 in 2017, including even this site, everything is around money nowdays, quality of coders droped significly and its some joke tier flawed logic that is runing things around.

About community, nobody cares about what "anti bot" does, cause they have no idea what dangerou it can bring to them, all they want is to play lineage 2 on crowded server, and you make server crowded by atracting big clans, even paying some, let your server be around 2-3 weeks, get donation money, close it and reopen soon, thats how things work now.

On other side everyone wants to bot, cause its 2017, make easy levels, get some gear, be at top or atleast near top, sell those items to casual players, go to next server - perspective of players in 2017.

I knew that smartguard was joke tier protection, when before 2-3 years,  it was bypassed just by renaming proces. Anyway this monopoly that SG and adrenaline have, will be hard, almost imposible to break right now, cause there isnt bot around that can be competiton to adrenaline, and thats the first step for everything else.

Edited by papa123

12 hours ago, papa123 said:

Damn Fyyre, not sure if this is true old guy or some new kid that is trying to steal identity, but remember back old days, your work was really aprecieted and helpfull, good to see you back if its really you, but you will notice that many things have changed around lineage 2 in 2017, including even this site, everything is around money nowdays, quality of coders droped significly and its some joke tier flawed logic that is runing things around.

About community, nobody cares about what "anti bot" does, cause they have no idea what dangerou it can bring to them, all they want is to play lineage 2 on crowded server, and you make server crowded by atracting big clans, even paying some, let your server be around 2-3 weeks, get donation money, close it and reopen soon, thats how things work now.

On other side everyone wants to bot, cause its 2017, make easy levels, get some gear, be at top or atleast near top, sell those items to casual players, go to next server - perspective of players in 2017.

I knew that smartguard was joke tier protection, when before 2-3 years,  it was bypassed just by renaming proces. Anyway this monopoly that SG and adrenaline have, will be hard, almost imposible to break right now, cause there isnt bot around that can be competiton to adrenaline, and thats the first step for everything else.

It is me =)  Thankfully I make account here at mxc long time ago (9 years I think!) .. I stop L2 near end of 2012.  From that time, even now ... I work on other games (money) .. L2 is always my true passion.  I am returning to it, so much change in the years I still adjusting, and in taking much new information.

The thought of paying a clan to come to server for 2-3 weeks, speaks volumes.

All of this leads me to wonder.  Does lack of exclusivity add to the problem?  While L2off seldom if ever leak, and keys to new versions held only by some secret squirrel Russian cartel.... for price tag more expensive than Bentley or new home (yet strangely enough, I have yet to see any non-retail server run say, Grand Crusade)

On flip side, is L2J... is like water; click and install .. .server is running.  Does not require the skill set of L2off (not count ones such as Sdw ((hi!)) .. then again, cycle of promises of new server, which has month  long life span is not so wonderful... l2off, or l2j.

Since Feb 29th to end of Jan 2016... I ran the most successful Forsaken World private server (Aria Forsaken World).  Over time, average of 1k - 500 players.  At the peak; monthly income was $10,000 - $12,000.  Upon starting, I had competition .. however post 2014, not exist.  I did have benefit of total exclusivity of content .. but also with development, near 99% uptime, and good reputation.

Sometimes, I think make good server is not so difficult ... however, money can never be the only objective.  It must be focus on player base.  With FW Aria, my goal was to offer a legitimate replacement for retail... which I believe I accomplished.

In 2017, I will either sound old (I 40 in 3 years, =((  ) .. or nostalgic.  But I am still eager to learn and be apart of L2 again.

Edited by Fyyre
added detail